Monday, September 8, 2014

Technology

Have you ever wondered what the world would be like if all the technology we have today was never invented?

As I am sitting here trying to figure out how to set this blog up, it got me thinking about what all I can do by just sitting at my desk. I can look up tons of information about what ever I want to search for by just pulling up Google and tying a few words in. Or like this blog for example or really any blog. Not sure if I will continue this blog after my class is over but maybe I will. But with the internet, the world is a much smaller place. You can meet people from across the globe and keep intouch with them thanks to the internet. It's crazy to think though about the speed at which the technology has progressed. My parents never had all this stuff available to them in school. They would have to take notes with a pen and paper or if they needed to talk to their teacher they couldn't just email him or her, they would have to set up a meeting with their teacher.

Some may argue that technology has improved our society in that it makes things easier for us. But I can only agree to an extent. I feel that technology hinders our growth as a society in so many different ways. One example would be that people aren't as socially aware as people use to be. By this I mean that the level of our social skills has dropped significantly with increased use in technology. People hide behind Facebook or Twitter. They say "I have 500 friends on Facebook" or "300 people are following me on Twitter". But really how many do they actually know and how many are they actually friends with.

These are just my initial thoughts on how technology has affected society and I will expand on my thoughts in later blog posts.

BUT  I will leave this video I saw on Facebook(a little ironic). Its talks about how social networks affect our social lives. I feel that this is a very powerful video



1 comment:

  1. I like where you are trying to go with this blog. There is an important discussion that needs to be had here about social interaction in real life and on the internet.

    When you make an argument like this:

    "Some may argue that technology has improved our society in that it makes things easier for us. But I can only agree to an extent. I feel that technology hinders our growth as a society in so many different ways. One example would be that people aren't as socially aware as people use to be. By this I mean that the level of our social skills has dropped significantly with increased use in technology. People hide behind Facebook or Twitter. They say "I have 500 friends on Facebook" or "300 people are following me on Twitter". But really how many do they actually know and how many are they actually friends with."

    Your argument would be strengthened by using examples. Link to newspaper articles that argue each side and then use the readings from class to make sense of what is being argued. How do you know that people aren't as socially aware? Could they be more socially aware because of Facebook? How does the sociological imagination help us untangle this social dilemma?

    You are addressing some important and interesting questions about everyday life in our postmodern world - just take it deeper and do more sociological analysis.

    ReplyDelete

AddToAny